Monday, April 19, 2010

Mother

Oil on canvas panel, 14" x 11"

The Painting of My Mother,
Eileen Ades Forrest

(Jan. 7th, 1925 - Nov. 20th, 2010)

The first day I learned of my Mother’s serious illness, I happened to be looking at the painting I did of her when the eyes twinkled at me. Perhaps it was an energy that came out of them, as though her spirit was in the painting. It stopped me and I smiled. The next thing: the phone rang; a doctor at the hospital told me of my Mother’s condition: she might not make it. I jumped in my car and drove north a few hours to be at her side. She recovered, but was still in serious condition.

I returned home. The next week, as I walked past her painting, again the eyes twinkled at me. Oh no--I thought, the phone will ring. An hour later, my Father called, “Can you come? She isn’t expected to last more than a few hours.” I came.

I stood next to my Mother’s bed in the hospital holding her right hand. Her eyes were closed, an oxygen mask covered her mouth, she seemed unconscious. I leaned forward and gentle tears rolled down my cheeks as I spoke into her ear “Mom, its Brian. My voice is gone because of a bad cold, but I’m here. I want you to know you communicated to me through the painting I did of you. You were looking right at me Mom, as though you were there with me. Your eyes twinkled Mom.” She rose up in the bed, arching her back, her left arm tried to reach out to respond. She had heard me. “I love you Mom..I love you. Dad and I are going to go home now to rest, but we will be back tomorrow, I love you Mom.” She passed early the next morning at 4:05 am.

I will always treasure the memory of my Mother and my painting of her.
--Brian Forrest

No comments:

Post a Comment